Monday, June 7, 2010

Mind Reader? Blog Reader?

Good morning, everybody! Last night I did not sleep well at all so when the alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. this morning I DID NOT want to get up to go to my exercise class. I ALMOST texted my friend to tell her not to pick me up because I was just too tired. But then I knew I would regret it later. Today is a busy day so it may have been my only chance to get some exercise in. So I got up.

Well, when we got there the instructor said that today was going to be game day. Woo hoo! I had no idea what this meant, but it sounded fun. Has he been reading my blog? Or does he just read minds? Because making exercise fun is just what I have blogged about recently.

We played paddle ball. For those of you who don't know what paddle ball is (I didn't) it is a game where two teams try to hit a ball into the other team's goal. The small ball is on the ground and you use little paddles to hit it around. Basically, it requires a lot of squatting down and running...and some would say I used my elbows a little too much. :) I'm just a bit competitive. Anyway, it was fun! And a great workout!

After paddle ball, we jumped rope old-school style. You know the kind, where two people hold the rope and swing it around while three of us jumped in it. I have not done that for at least 25 years maybe longer. It was also a great workout! I told the instructor that we should have game day every Monday. He said that we could. We'll see.

Thank you to everyone for your yummy suggestions as for "more awesome" dessert recipes. Thanks to you and my facebook friends I have several new desserts to try. I decided to stick with one of my tried and true recipes. It is called chocolate-lovers favorite cake. I would have to agree, if you like chocolate you'll love this cake! It is a bundt cake made from a devil's food cake mix, with a lot of other very fattening (and yummy) stuff added to it. I got it off of allrecipes.com years ago. I went to the website on Friday to copy and paste the recipe to an email for a friend that had requested the recipe. I noticed the nutritional info on it and HOLY COW, I wanted to cry. This cake has 604 calories per serving! I have used low-fat sour cream before, so I'm sure that took some of the calories out of it.

After I saw this, I could not bring myself to eat any of it on Saturday. We've had it twice recently for my kid's birthdays, so I felt like I didn't need any this weekend. I enjoyed a couple of the "melt your face off -awesome" cookies. They were peanut butter with peanut butter cups in them. Not low fat, but not 604 calories either. The good news, everybody really liked my cake and there was only a little leftover. Only enough for my husband and my two kids, who really love the cake to have a small slice.

I hesitate putting the recipe on this type of blog because, well it has 604 CALORIES per serving! However, it is delicious and would make a great once-a-year :) splurge. So click here for a link to the recipe, if you dare. If not, just skip this paragraph all together.

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! We enjoyed the sunshine around here, yay!

6 comments:

  1. I am checking that recipe out!! Peanut butter anything...yum!!

    I'm so glad you had fun exercising. That is the key :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...I read wrong...I thought you made the cookies. Maybe it's a good thing you didn't since PB is my coma food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it went well. And you didn't have to bring any home! 604 calories. That would make me think twice too. I'm off to look up the calories on MY favorite cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like a fun workout - your instructor sounds great!

    Um, I'm not even going to click on the link for the cake recipe...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it worked out good. The cake sounds yummy, but I think I'll skip the recipe today. *wink*

    What a great idea to have a game day for a workout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have just explained why I love hip hop aerobics and Zumba so much! They're so fun they don't feel like a workout!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete