Monday, May 24, 2010

My Vacation: A Bump in the Road

I'm Baaaaackkkk! Did anyone miss me? I haven't blogged for almost two weeks now. Having my kids on a school break, my son's birthday and a week-long vacation thrown in there took me away from blogging. I did think of my blogging peeps and took a look at some blogs, but that was the extent of my blogging.

I must admit it was hard for me to get on here today. It seems blogging is like anything else, if I take a break for awhile it is always hard to get started again. But I feel like blogging is such an important part of my journey, I can't let it fall by the wayside.

Our vacation was wonderful! We headed about 300 miles South and found the sunshine that has been lacking here (I really think Spring is going to skip us this year). We spent most of our time swimming and laying out by the pool. We also went on a short hike in a nearby canyon, raced go-carts, saw "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" (Dumb!) and discovered a new favorite family game (Guesstures). I also spent way too much time snacking :( . Things I learned on vacation:

- I love being with my family on vacation. My husband has been working a lot of hours and works hard. When we are on vacation, he plays hard. I'm grateful he can leave his work at home and just play with the family. Our family really needed this time.

-When it feels like the sun is burning your legs, it probably is! That is when it is time to reapply the sunscreen.

-The GPS is only as good as the information you give it. We actually learned this last year on our trip to Disneyland when my husband put in the wrong address to our hotel and we drove around for 30 extra minutes trying to find Disneyland! We re-learned the lesson on this trip. To be frank, I hate Susan ( our GPS), my husband loves her though.

-I don't care if I watch another episode of "Hannah Montana" again! (No explanation needed)

-It is not a good idea to try a new restaurant like "Five Guys" or a new ice cream like Ben & Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio ice cream when you are trying to lose weight. (Now I have two new things to add to my "only eat once in a blue moon" list.

-You really can ruin a few weeks of hard work, by having one week of bad eating. (Bright side. I think it will come off with a week of hard work)


I definitely could have done worse on my vacation. I got up early and walked (with a little jogging) 4 out of the 6 days we were there. I would have made it five straight days if it wasn't for that darn sunburn.

I ate a healthy breakfast every day and my lunches were mostly on track, too. I tried to make fairly good dinner choices, when I could (when we weren't at Five Guys).

The snacking and eating ice cream everyday is what got me. Not good choices. The worst part is that we got home on Friday, but I continued the poor eating all weekend long. It is so easy to fall back into bad habits, isn't it?

Today, so far so good. I got up and went to my exercise class, did a couple of miles on the treadmill and ate a healthy breakfast. I think today will be a great day to get me back on track. Hopefully, by the time I weigh-in on Wednesday the damage won't be too bad.


By the way this is a pic I took from the balcony of our condo on our vacation:



And this is a pick I took from my deck this morning! Uggghhhhh! More snow!!!! We haven't even been able to plant our tomatoes yet!


I think I'm ready for another vacation! Have a great day everybody! I hope to go get caught up on blogs now.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice vacation. Five guys!! Oh my....we have 2 now!! I really wish I didn't know how good it was.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me, snow on May 24th! That's crazy! Glad you had a great vacation. It's always nice to be home, but getting back into the routine can be a challenge. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Vacation fun is great. We all need it

    The sooner you get rid of the damage the easier it is. Trust you are having a good day and a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great vacation.
    I am glad you are back to blog world too though.
    You did awesome with exercise, what a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I missed you! In fact, I almost wrote to check on you, but then I remembered that your kids were on break.

    Vacations are meant to be enjoyed, and it sounds like you really enjoyed your family time! I usually let myself have multiple splurges on vacation, but with the caveat that it stops at the state line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, snow? How is that possible? I thought I had it bad in Michigan but we've had high 80's all week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow?!? Where do you live? Wow, that must have been hard to go back to after such a sunny, wonderful vacation! Glad you all enjoyed each other so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back! Glad you got a good vacation in...which does have to include some indulgences too.

    And look at you...right back to the healthy lifestyle...making it work.

    ReplyDelete