Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Too Close for Comfort


This is a picture my backyard neighbor took on Sunday evening. Pretty scary to see the mountain just up from our neighborhood on fire. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep on Sunday. Although, we were never evacuated we knew there was a possibility that we would be. Over a thousand people were evacuated and some have yet to be cleared to return home. It was a great reality check. Were we prepared? Did we know where our important papers were? Did we have our 72 hr. kits ready and accessible? I never felt that our home was in danger because we live just below the mountain and there are a few neighborhoods between us and where the fire was. Miraculously, no one was seriously injured and far fewer homes were lost than expected. On Sunday night, they estimated they would lose 100+ homes. Once daylight broke on Monday, the count was just 3. My heart aches for the 3 families that lost their homes. I am grateful for the brave firefighters who saved so many others. They are working on containing the fire,which has moved back over the other side of the mountain where it started at. There is a possibility of stronger winds today, which were the huge problem on Sunday, but I think our area has seen the worst of it.
So today is a day to be grateful for a home to live in, for a bed to sleep in, for all the "things" I have, for memories captured on photos, for firefighters, for a community that works together and for the sun shining on us today.
Due to the pollutants in the air, I have chosen not to run outside. I did the treadmill today. Boy, I sure do love running outside!
I hope everybody is having a really grateful, happy day. Remember to count your blessings, because you never know....

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm really glad that it wasn't your house there. You are right. We've all got to count our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy close!
    I am so glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary, scary sight - glad you are ok! Awful for those who lost their houses...it really does make you realize what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blood runs cold looking at that scary pic. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that yours and so many others' homes were spared. What a terrible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m glad you were safe. We went through that once in Northern AZ a while back and I felt just like you...grateful for all the same things and realizing how blessed I was.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete