Sunday, July 25, 2010

What Leo has taught me?

Well, it has been awhile since I posted. That is summer for you! The kids and I took another trip to the amusement park last week. It was so fun! I even found a new "happy place". It is on a certain ride with my kids. We all fit into one seat. It is the kind of ride that spins you around, depending on how you lean. If you all lean the same way at just the right time you spin around super fast. I loved being on this ride with my three kids and we were all laughing uncontrollably. I loved watching their smiles. It was a perfect moment. It may sound cheezy, but I'm glad for those moments with my kids. We all need moments we can remember when things aren't so great. Like when the kids are all fighting and you wish summer break would be over already. :) I've had a few of those this past week, too.

We went to the water park inside the amusement park this time and we also went swimming one other time last week. That means I had two opportunities to wear my new swimsuit. I really like how it fits and am glad I spent the extra money on a good well-fitting swimsuit. Of course, I think I'll like how I fit in my swimsuit next year even better, when I'm 20 pounds lighter!

I promised I would post about what I've learned from Leo, thus far. Leo is my Garmin, in case you didn't know.I've been analyzing the data using the software that came with Leo. Here's what I've learned:

*Michelle runs faster than me! No wonder, I always feel so pooped by the end of our runs even though they are shorter than when I run by myself.
*I run faster outside than on the treadmill. No wonder, I can't run quite as long outside than inside.
*I walk/ran about a 5K, 6 days last week. Hooray for me!
*I need to become more consistent with my pace because the graph of my runs are all over the chart.
*Leo is really cool and I'm glad I found him! He really is going to help me become a runner.

Here is my walk/running schedule from last week and my times:

Monday- 3.09 miles (38.49 min) I was alone for this one.
Tuesday- 3.0 miles (38.55 min)
Wednesday- 3.13 miles (44.59) No running.
Thursday- 3.36 miles (42.44) I was alone.
Friday- 3.26 miles (43.16)
Saturday- 3.11 (43.54) No running.

I feel really good about my running. I used to think that the treadmill was great and couldn't understand why people hated it. Well, now that I have been running outside, I really am dreading the winter months when I will have to go back to the treadmill. I love being outside and the challenges of the normal inclines and the relief of the descents.

On Saturday, I wanted to exercise but knew I shouldn't run. I had already ran 4 days, which is a lot for me. My body was telling me to take a rest from running. So I opted for a walk instead. It was sooo hard not to run. I really wanted to! I can't believe I actually WANTED to run. Wow! I really am changing on this journey. It feels good.

8 comments:

  1. That is great! Good running schedule for you. Do you do that each week? If so, how long have you been doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post sounds a lot like me! I cant believe that I have been enjoying running either! It may even be a miracle since I used to hate any form of exercise. I need to learn more about this Garmin thing. I am in the market for something of the sort. And I too prefer to run outside. I did this weekend but it was ona a trail and I had no way to track how far or how fast I was going. Keep up your awesome work!!!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT POST!!!!!!! Sounds like a great workout plan. Technically my new Nikes have Nike+ in them and will track my mileage, etc., but can't get it to work.

    I'm curious, does Leo make your wrist sweat too much and does it bother you if it does? If I stay focused and keep on with the run/walking I may have to ask for one for Christmas. :)

    I'm with you 100% on enjoying those moments with children. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on all the running...I must admit I despise running and doubt it will ever change. I definitely think it's harder and a better workout outside instead of on the treadmill.

    I love happy moments like that with the kids...it sure beats the bickering matches that plague summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read in "The Complete Book of Running for Women" that many women actually prefer to run outside in winter. Apparently, it has a certain thrill.

    Zoot makes an incredibly cool looking, warm, winter running coat with the latest technology. I'm hoping for one! I actually bought one on clearance (they are very expensive) but they only had a medium and they run super, super small. So, I had to take it back. Even if I lost 30 more pounds, it wouldn't fit, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you and Leo are getting along so well! It's fun to watch the stats pile up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, oh I did enjoy Sundae Day! :)
    Yes, I also did get my new purse today. Purchased it from Target. Ah, absolutely adore that store!

    Wow. Wonderful job with the running. Never could I do that. I'm just not a runner, unfortunately.. too much impact on my knees! :(
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that comment that you made about actually wanting to run. That's quite a statement about how far you've come. Once the winter comes, maybe you could think about some other winter sport, skating maybe, that you could do with your kids for a new experience that will have you as excited as you are about running.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete