Friday, July 30, 2010

A Running NSV

Good morning, bloggers! I am so excited this morning! Why? Well, let me tell you.

Michelle wasn't feeling well to do our morning walk so I was on my own. Leo and I headed out and I decided to do a 5K and time myself. I told Leo that I wanted to do a 5k and set a goal for 38 minutes. 38 minutes was my goal for my last 5K race, but as it turned out they didn't officially time that race and Leo wasn't in my life then so I never really knew.

So I set out running and just kept running until I couldn't anymore. And Leo was teasing me because he wasn't telling me the time, just how far I had gone and what my pace was. I know, I could figure it out by the pace but I'm not quite that coordinated with my brain when I am exerting myself so much physically. I knew that I had ran 1.25 miles straight a couple of weeks ago so I wanted to at least run that much. Then I also set a goal for a certain place I wanted to be able to run to on my route. Ironically, that place was a local bakery. No, I didn't stop at the bakery! In fact, I couldn't quite run that far and ended up picking up my run again at the bakery. That's right, run past the bakery as fast as you can!

Anyway, my first run was 1.6 miles! That is the most I've ran outside so I was really pleased with myself. I did run a little bit after that and ended up walking the last mile of my 5K. I'm just going to admit right now that even walking that last mile was hard. I really wanted to slow down, but I also really wanted a good time so I kept walking at a fast pace.

When the 5K distance was reached, do you know what Leo told me? He said, "You won!" , I just love that guy! My time was 36.58. Mile 1- 10.57, Mile 2-10.43, Mile 3-13.46., last .11-14.10. Pretty great for me! I feel very happy. I'm hoping to cut more time off of that before my official 5K race in two weeks.

The scale has been moving pretty great for me the last few weeks, but I know that may not always last so NSV's are very important to me. Hooray for this one! I hope you all have a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. That is so great. Hysterical that you were running to...then past the bakery :)

    Good for you. I, the running hater, am truly impressed with you!!! You are doing so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Great job. You will do great on race day!

    You know, reading about your successes lately are so encouraging to me. I think it's called "blog therapy" :-)

    Revel in your victory for a long time you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! Love the bakery as your reference point! I think I'd be running INTO the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!!! I love the progress that can be made in running. Keep going and enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! That is my goal too. We'll see how I do this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so awesome! You'll be running the full 5k before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an AWESOME time for walking have of your 5k! I jog a 5k at like 33+ minutes, no walking.

    Your sub 11 minute miles are terrific!

    Big time happy dance for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome. Sorry I've been MIA. But I'm just very busy right now.

    WOO HOO for the 160s!!!! AND double for the running. You are doing so well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That had to feel good-and Leo is the ultimate giver of positive reinforcement. Sometimes working out alone (or in your case with Leo)allows you to push yourself harder because you can really concentrate.

    ReplyDelete