Thursday, April 29, 2010

Calling All 5Kers!

Okay, I'm starting to get really nervous about my 5K that is a week from Saturday. I shouldn't be so nervous. I've done a couple before. I guess this time I have higher expectations for myself and have actually trained for it the past 3 months. I don't want to let myself down.

Anyway, I know a lot of you out there have trained for (like me) and have already done a 5K. Some of you do 5K's regularly (you rock!). So I am looking for any tips and advice you can give me as far as how I should prepare for it this last week. Should I not run the couple of days before the race? Did you start the race out running or with a warm-up walk? Etc...Any tips would be appreciated.

I do know one thing. I don't think I'll attend my strength training class next Tuesday. This past Tuesday about killed me and my legs are still sore! In fact, I had not done cardio since Monday so I knew I needed to do it today. It was pretty hard to convince myself to go get on the treadmill when my legs hurt so bad just walking down the stairs to get TO the treadmill.

I'm happy to say that I talked myself into it. I knew I should run, but was a little skeptical how that was going to go with my legs and glutes being so sore. I was able to run for 15 minutes at a fairly slow speed and that is it. I'm okay with that for today, though. I walked the rest of the way and did about 2.25 miles. That is less than what I have been doing, but I can live with it.

I think next week I will go to my Monday morning class and then skip the T/TH strength classes. Thursdays are mostly upper body, but she still throws some lower body in there. I will focus on getting ready for my 5K the rest of the week.

Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Today is my oldest child's birthday. She is turning 11 and growing up way too fast. We will be celebrating with some ice cream cake later and tomorrow I will be taking her and some friends swimming (indoors, there is snow on the ground today...grrrrr!). I will make cupcakes for that celebration. I am definitely going to enjoy me a piece of ice cream cake tonight, but will skip on the cupcakes. There I wrote it down! I am skipping on cupcakes! :)

Don't forget that today is the last day to enter the giveaway. Check back tomorrow to see who the winner is and also I have an award to dish out!

11 comments:

  1. I've done a few 5Ks and I get worked up too. Just remember to breath and slow down when you need to. It's all about finishing;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZER...where in the heck do you live where snow is on the ground? I love snow! Clearly, I am from the south. Anyways...it's hard to tell you what do do for a 5k without knowing what your goals for the race are. Having never run a 5k, but having run a 10k, 1/2, and a full, I can give lots of different kinds of advice that worked for me. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you dont have to be the fastest-just go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't personally done a 5K, but my hubby's done 2 already. He runs 3 miles Monday and Tuesday, rest day Wednesday, 2 miles Thursday and 1 mile Friday. HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would simply treat the 5K race like any other running day...you may want to have one rest day before, but otherwise don't alter your routine. I hear the bigger key is warming up on the race day itself...at least like the C25K program with a 5 minute walk ahead of the start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to "rest up" before my 5K's - like Wednesday is the last day for workouts and running for a Saturday race. I don't bother warming up, because I run so slow...that said, I usually start out way too fast and have to make a huge effort to slow myself down. My Nike + shows me my pace time so that helps, because it's hard when everyone around you is running super fast.

    Biggest thing to remember is to not panic breathe - get into your normal running groove and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely am not an expert since I have only done one, but what helped me was to start off really slow and stay at a steady pace (as with most of your practice runs). Another technique I used was to focus on someone ahead of me that was a going about my speed and focusing on getting passed them. It's less about a speed thing and more a thing to keep your mind distracted. You will do great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I only run if it is a life saving serious incident I will say good luck and you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go for a walk the day before, but dont run. An easy run two days before is good.

    And I walk a little before the race just to warm up.

    Good luck, you'll do AWESOME!

    happy birthday to your kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, you'll do fine. My goal was just to finish without walking. I don't know if that's yours, but if it is just don't get frustrated if people pass you. I think you run faster than me, so it probably won't be an issue for you.

    I did my regular workouts up to two days before my race. Then I only did a brisk walk on the elliptical the day before and no weights or anything strenuous. My race had a one-mile family walk about 20 minutes before the actual 5K and I was greatful for that warm up.

    My hubby suggested eating lots of carbs the night and morning of the race. I know I just made sure I didn't run on a full stomach, or even nearly full.

    I'm excited for you!!! You'll feel such a great sense of accomplishment when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your 5k. I don't run so I can't give any suggestions but it looks as though you've gotten a lot here. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete