Thursday, April 8, 2010

Will it always be this hard?

On the sidebar of my blog in the About Me section one of the things it says is "learn to love to exercise and eat healthy foods". I'm beginning to wonder if this will ever be achieved. Yes, that is a bit discouraging, but I might as well face the facts now. This healthier lifestyle I am trying to adopt will probably never be easy for me.

What brought all this on? Well today I read this column by one of my favorite sports/fitness columnists. This woman has run marathons, participated in triathlons, biked hundreds of miles and is someone I would consider to be very fit. Click on the link to read her column. She is great! In her column today she wrote about how she sometimes struggles to get to the gym and that once she's there she struggles to complete the goals she has set for herself for her workout. She tries to renegotiate with herself regarding goals she set, whether it be miles to run or # of circuits to complete on weight machines. I can so relate! Can you?

Although, it was a bit comforting to read that someone of her "caliber" has some of the same struggles I do it was also discouraging. I guess I kind of expected that once the pounds are off and I have run my first 5K it would get easier. I will magically turn into a person that loves to exercise and eat healthy. Probably not going to happen.

The truth is, healthy living is hard for most of us! It should get easier with time, but I don't think it will ever seem as easy sitting on the couch watching TV while eating a bag of potato chips does.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I am worth the hard work. My kids deserve to have a mother that has energy to keep up with and sets a good example for them. I love the feeling I get both mentally and physically after I complete a workout or eat on plan for a day. I really liked shopping for new clothes in a smaller size yesterday. These and other reasons are why I continue to and will continue to do this, not because it is easy.

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the same darned thing TODAY! I was wondering if people who have been "fit" all their lives are just naturals at eating decently and exercising. I'll have to check out your link. I wonder if she was always the athlete that she is or if she too had an early life being less athletic.

    Hmmm...I wonder...I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought this SO many times on this journey. I honestly don't think I will ever wake up in the morning and say: oh goody! I get to go on a run! But if I focus on that feeling after the run, and the thought that I truly am "treating" myself- just in a different, not so instant gratification kind of way, it makes it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I wonder myself sometimes, but I keep going day by day. :)

    I'll check out the article in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post really made me think about my past and present motivations and choices. I wrote a blog about it (http://fat-to-fitgirl.blogspot.com/2010/04/self-motivation.html) because it was too much to post in a comment!

    ReplyDelete