Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Good & The Bad

Good morning, bloggers! I hope everyone has had a great past few days. I have been enjoying sunshine and trying to get back into the groove of sports season. My daughters are playing soccer and my son is playing baseball. It can be kind of crazy! In fact this Thursday, they all have practice at the same time at three different parks. Hmmm...still not quite sure how that is going to work out. My son has several neighbors on his baseball team so I may have to call in a favor.

Anyway, this post is about the good and the bad. Let's start with the good news. I attended my exercise class again yesterday. It was a great workout! We did football drills, high knees, side jumps (?), push ups, and lots of other stuff. I can sure feel it in my calves today. After class, yesterday my friends and I were talking about how we wished he did another early morning class on a different day because that is the best time for us to workout.

Well, when I checked my email yesterday there was an email about a class that is being held at my church on Tues. and Thurs. ! It is a resistance/light weight training class. It is at 6:00 a.m. and the best thing about it is it is FREE! It is just what we were looking for. So today we got up and went there. The instructor attends the same church as I do, but at different meeting times so I don't really know what her background is. I do know this wasn't her first time instructing an exercise class because she was great and seemed to know what she was doing.

I'm so excited to have the opportunities to attend early morning exercise classes. The Monday mornings are a mixture of cardio/strength and T/TH are all strength. Strength training is something I have been struggling to fit into my schedule so I am so happy and feel blessed with these new opportunities.

Okay, the bad. My C25K training has kind of fell to the wayside. I have been trying to fit it into my schedule and last week had a hard time doing so. After my morning walks with my friend, I wouldn't always have the energy or time. Last week's Monday exercise class left me really sore so that attributed to it. Last Monday, I completed day 2 of week 6 and did not really attempt another day until today. That is more than a week in between! Not good. I have ran a little on my walks, but not much.

Anyway, I wasn't sure what to expect today. I think I did so-so. I was able to run for 1.25 miles and for about 17 minutes. That is way off the 25 minutes I need to run to complete week 6, but not too bad for not having really ran for a week. The 5K I signed up for is on May 8th. That is less than 3 weeks away! I really need to step my training up.

I think it will get better from here on out because I now have a new set schedule. Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays exercise classes first thing in the morning. I will do the treadmill on those days after the kids go to school.
Wednesdays and Fridays I will walk with my friend. We plan on doing our long 3 mile walk those days. About a mile of it is at an incline so it is a pretty good walk for us. On those days, I may or may not hop on the treadmill later.
Saturdays can be tricky now because of soccer games, but I plan on getting on the treadmill on Saturdays as well.
I will do my c25K training on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I think this plan will be great and am excited to have some new exercise goals.


Here is a follow up to my last post. I bought this chocolate bar at the store yesterday:


So yummy! It is one of my favorites. I do not have a Trader Joe's in my state so I cannot try some of the wonderful chocolate you all suggested. I got this for now and saw some others I may try down the road. Anyway, I am happy to say that I did not eat any yesterday between 2 and 4 p.m. Of course, I was at the park with friends for most of that time period so that helped ;)! I did eat a couple of squares last night. And I enjoyed it all, guilt-free. I had made good food choices all day long so I could. The package says that one serving is four squares. I feel good limiting myself to just two a day.
Thanks to everyone for listening to me ramble today. I really appreciate you all. I was feeling very discouraged last week and wondering if I could really make it on this journey. All of your supportive comments really uplifted and encouraged me. I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now.
Have a great day!

12 comments:

  1. I know how hard it is to balance the eating, the exercise, and family! It sounds like you are doing well. I wish I could find a 6:00 a.m. workout class - that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early morning exercise class sounds so wonderful!!! You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sports schedules can be insane. I remember when my boys were younger and doing baseball and soccer...it was crazy...

    Congrats on doing the exercise class again. That sounds like a whole lot more fun than my boring boring cardio routine today...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for classes! I know all about trying to work around the schedule business too.

    Have you asked yoruself why you are really letting the C25k fall by the wayside?

    Lastly-why in the world don't you show up on my blogroll?? I get so irritated with blogger sometimes. =\

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you're getting in the classes you want in. What a blessing! Also, I would just plain be too tired for C25K, walks AND classes. But, that's just me.

    I hope you figure that brainteaser out. You are one brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You stopped at 2 pieces of chocolate.

    On the C25K ... You have a jam packed schedule. I was going to suggest that you can it for a few weeks while you do everything else to the best you can, but since it is only 3 weeks to the race I'm sure you can get to the start line feeling good about your readiness.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire you - going to an exercise class at 6am - now that's dedication! I was having a hard time fitting running into my workout schedule - finally had to drop one class in order to get a good run in w/o dying in class the next day. Hard to balance everything, isn't it? You'll still rock your upcoming 5K, no matter where you are in the training.

    Oh, and I remember the crazy days of baseball, karate, scouts and school events - you have my sympathies, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just look at all you ARE doing! Awesome!

    I put in 3-5 runs per week and think I'm all that when I see so many others doing so much more...no room for your disappointment here, though I totally understand the desire for achieving your C25K graduation.

    I see nothing wrong with your progress...yes, it makes it easier to maintain the running conditioning if you let no more than 2 or so days go in between, but you'll get it back quickly.

    A lot to be proud of here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job on finding a class to take! :) I LOVE dark chocolate w/ orange flavor!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your workout class sounds great! I can't wait to hear how you like the T/H one! With the kids and your other exercise, letting your focus shift away from the c25k is understandable. It's a balancing act! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. your gonna do great at your 5k! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stress of getting kids to their activities can be so overwhelming. Hopefully, your running helps relieve some of that stress. Keep going Barbara. I'm chickening out of the June 5K race and waiting for July...an extra month of training! :)

    ReplyDelete