Monday, April 12, 2010

A First For Me

Today I did something that I have always avoided doing. I actually exercised out in public.....at 5:30 a.m. ! I don't have a problem walking (or even a little jogging) in public but I have always shied away from any kind of exercise class. I've posted about my two left feet before. I am very uncoordinated and am self-conscious about exercising in public.

A couple friends in the neighborhood have been talking to my walking friend and I about the kickboxing class they take on Monday mornings @ 5:30 a.m. We decided to skip our walk this morning and check out the class. There really wasn't any kickboxing going on today. It was actually a core fitness test day! We did all kinds of exercises I can't remember the names of and kept track of how many we could do of each exercise in a minute. Needless to say, I was not the most fit person there. Oh well. I still feel good about the effort I put in and I can just imagine what it would have been like had I taken the same test back in January when I started this journey. I think I will keep going to the Monday classes. The test will be given every month so I will be able to see my progress.

I completed Week 6, Day 1 of the C25K on Friday. So I knew I really needed to attempt day 2 today. After coming home from the exercise class I wasn't so sure that was going to happen. My whole body was pretty sore. I got the kids off to school, had some breakfast and got on the treadmill. To my surprise, I was able to complete day 2 of week 6! I did have to run at a lower speed than past weeks because the muscles in my legs just couldn't go as fast as usual. But I did it! The next four days of the training are running for 25 minutes straight. I think I may have to repeat a few days, but I'm optimistic that I will complete the training.

I'm happy about my two NSV's today! I may not be seeing the pounds melting away each week, but I feel like I am accomplishing a lot more than just losing pounds. Have a great Monday!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. That is a tough one. I went for the first time every to a class a year ago and realized it was ok...not everyone was a perfect 18 year old Barbie there :)

    Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I still haven't conquered an exercise class! :) And it's good that it was a core test day in that you can use your numbers as a benchmark for progress in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are growing in so many ways! Great job on C25K...who knows, maybe you'll just sail through those workouts too. You'll likely surprise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy for you that you started with the fitness test - you will have a great sense of how far you've come (and believe me, you will show a ton of improvement) over the next few months - I hope you love your class!

    And way to go with getting in your C25K workout on top of your other workout...can you believe you are doing this?!? Woot woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's early! You have more commitment than me! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Congrats on overcoming the exercising in public fear! I used to feel that way, but eventually got over it. I haven't taken any classes though, so I will have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In regards to what you said on my post yesterday regarding putting ourselves down, it really can affect the way children grown up thinking about themselves too. It's great that you are pushing yourself to do something that is outside of your comfort zone. That is a great example to your children too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job stepping out of your comfort zone-a new part of the journey you seem to have conquered!

    ReplyDelete