Monday, April 26, 2010

Making Progress

Happy Monday, everybody! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. Mine was great. Two soccer games and a birthday party for my daughter on Saturday. A relaxing day on Sunday. I did not exercise. I just can't seem to get up early enough on Saturdays to exercise when my kids have early soccer games. Despite that, and eating some really yummy chocolate cake and ice cream on Saturday and Sunday, the scale is being kind. I really think I will hit the 25 pound mark this week!

This morning at my exercise class we worked on abs and arms. Have I mentioned how much I love going to this class? :) I never know what to expect from week to week. Well, I was glad that we didn't do much with legs today because I really wanted to do some C25K training this morning. I plan on doing it on Tuesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays but knew that I have a commitment early tomorrow and wasn't going to get a chance to do it.

I last attempted Week 6, Day 3 on Thursday. Well, I didn't really attempt to complete the day because I have gotten a bit off track and know I need to work my way up a little again. I ran for about 18 minutes straight/1.25 miles. Then after walking awhile I ran another .25 miles. I was pretty happy about that.

Today, I was able to run for 1.5 miles and 20 minutes. Then I walked for awhile and ran for 5 more minutes and a bit more than a 1/4 mile. W6D3 is run for 25 minutes or 2.25 miles (not quite my pace) straight. So I am getting there. I ran for 25 minutes today, just not all at once.

Also I decided to walk fast the rest of the time until I reached 3 miles. My 5K is in just 2 more Saturdays! Ahhhhhh! Anyway, it took me 42.38 minutes to do 3 miles. I ran more than half of that. I did the same race last year and did it in about 40 minutes with my daughter, who was ill. I would expect myself to be able to do it quicker this time. In Sept. 2008 I did another 5K and my time was about 39 minutes. That was without much training at all so I really expect to do better than that.

Having said that, I have set 38 minutes as my goal for this 5K. I don't think it should be a problem, really. I think I will make more progress over the next 10 days or so. Also, I'm sure the adrenaline will be pumping come race day. I have been surprised that my times weren't better on the treadmill compared to my previous 5K's, seeing how I have never really trained before.

I don't know if I really pushed myself hard in those races, or what. Could it be that my 10 year-old treadmill isn't completely accurate? We shall see.

Have a great day everybody and don't forget to enter my Yoplait "nourish your inner goddess" giveaway here. It ends on Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. I have no doubt you'll exceed your time goal. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck these next couple of weeks training for your race. I hope the weather cooperates for you. There were two big charity races in my town this past weekend and it was pouring buckets. I felt so sorry for those runners who'd been training so long and had the added obstacle of having to run in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that treadmills aren't completely accurate...but you will ROCK your 5K! Oh, and I know what you mean about not knowing what to expect with your exercise class...it's more fun that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for progress Barbara! It's exciting to watch you reach your goals on the scale and in your running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing so great...When I had a bad C25K session, I would just walk the rest of the way...but no...you get back on your horse and run all that you can run of it and you've kept battling back even when progress has slowed. You are becoming a running warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing great! You're gonna rock it. I love how confident you sound. Thanks for all your encouragement.

    I have an award for you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be an awesome race for you! I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete