Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weigh-In-Wednesday and Other Stuff

Happy Wednesday, everybody! Today is the day I dread and look forward to each week. It is my weigh-in day. Today the scale read 182 for a 1 lb. loss. That brings the total to 23 1/2 pounds total lost! I am happy for the loss, but wish it was more. I felt like my eating was a lot better this past week. Oh well. I'm going to cross my fingers for at least a 1 1/2 lb. loss next week, that will take me to 25 lbs!

I have pinpointed the time of day that is hardest for me to stay on plan. The time of day that is hardest for me is between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. It is during this time that I have the most "free time". I guess, maybe I get bored a little. By that time of day, I have exercised, the household chores (that I want to do) are done, my son is home from kindergarten and is playing with friends, I am starting to think about dinner preparations and find myself in the kitchen, etc..

Anyway, it is during this time that I seem to be craving sweets. I have often turned to the open bag of chocolate chips in my pantry. They are so yummy dipped in my all-natural peanut butter. You see my problem. Today my problem was that there were no more chocolate chips in the pantry, until I discovered an open jar of hot fudge in my fridge.

Yes, I am a choco-holic! I love the stuff! I don't think I can (or want to) totally swear the stuff out of my life. At the same time, I don't seem to be the type of person (yet) that can just have a couple of Hershey kisses and be satisfied.

Now that I have pinpointed the weak part of my day, I just need to do something about it. I will try distracting myself. Maybe reading. Maybe blogging. Maybe eating something more healthy. Any ideas? What are some of your favorite tasty, yet healthy, snacks? Have you pinpointed the hardest part of your day? What are you doing about it?

Another thought. I noticed that yesterday I reached 50 followers! I can't believe there are actually 50 people who care what I say or do. Can you believe this blog almost never happened?

I had decided to start a weight loss blog and got it all set up. You know, it's kind of a pain to get your layout set and such. And I had created my first post, which was fairly long. Anyway, I decided I wanted to have an email associated with the blog so I set one up through gmail. Then I realized that the address I set up used my full name. I did not want my first and last name associated with the blog. So I tried to close the email account and in the process ended up deleting the blog! Not just this blog, but my family blog that I had been posting on for a couple of years. I was so sad! I tried everything I could to restore the blogs and was especially concerned about the family one.

I could not restore them and I was very frustrated and deflated. Anyway, I ended up creating a new family blog, which I rarely post on now. And I also created this blog, even though I really wanted to chicken out on the whole thing. Boy, am I glad I did! I am so grateful for my followers and especially those that comment regularly. You are such a great support system for me. I never knew that I could feel so close to people who I have never met.

Sometimes I click on my followers pics to see who they are and where I can see them and support them in their efforts. Sometimes the followers do not have links listed on their profile. If you think you are one of those and I have never commented on your blog, please leave me a comment with your blog address. I would really love to support you!

8 comments:

  1. How cool will it be next week when you can say you've lost 25 pounds? That is awesome! And congrats on going to the gym Monday. I used to go and play racquetball with Raelin, and then when she quit coming as frequently, I used to go by myself and work out, but never in a class. That is so cool you did that! And keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. A pity about your lost blogs.

    About the 2 - 4 period. Years ago I heard a wise person say women need a top up about this time of day. The suggestion was a little bit of protein, a few nuts, brazil or almond, and dried apricots. These things seem to boost one and get one over the slump. I only have protein and maybe something veggie like a piece of carrot, because I over eat on nuts and dried fruit but it is a good idea. For years my slim sister had a snack of brazil nuts and ginger at that time of day.

    A suggestion for you re chocolate is to make sure you have the highest and best quality chocolate you can afford and have 1 or 2 little squares with this afternoon snack.

    Oh - and eat your snack earlier rather than later. Once hunger attacks it is so much harder to satisfy cravings.

    All the best as you tweak your eating plan to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a hard time from 2-4 and then later in the evenings.

    Lately it's been working nice for me to enjoy my second cup of coffee then. Since I am limiting myself to one sweet treat a day I tend to not have it then because I know I'll want it later in the evening.

    My afternoon snack of late is a hard-boiled egg and berries. Or just my coffee until dinnertime.

    Congrats on the loss. Better down than up! :) You're doing well and it's always a joy to check in on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time of day too. 10 to 12 is it for me. AM. That is the time that I am alone, and for some reason I guess I start thinking and processing. It helped me to blog at that time.

    Yet another reason why I love the 'blog diet'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for your pound!

    Ok..here is some strange advice on your 2-4 period...give up chocolate. For awhile anyway...treat it like an allergy.

    If you can create that level of discipline to substitute a different item, then you'll really demonstrate to yourself that you control the chocolate, it doesn't control you.

    After you have proven it, you can add it back in, because it'll be your choice and not something a craving is compelling you to do.

    Anyone who is honest and consistent with their blogging deserves their followers...you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great scale results!

    Fresh fruit is a nice sweet substitute for me. I save my daily apple for that 2-4 time period, so that I can get my "sugar fix" in. Soon I'll switch to canteloupe and watermelon. I don't regret the sweet addiction as long as the food has add'l health benefits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My time too is from 2-4ish....I have started to drink Chocolately Chia Tea most afternoons to curb that want something sweet feeling.
    I love the flavour of this tea with a wee bit of milk...it really does hit the spot.

    Before I started this journey this was the time off day where my spiral downward started and did not end until bedtime.

    I hope you find that something to get you through!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That time of day is tough for me too. I've dipped dove chocolates in peanut butter. Oops...sorry you were asking for "healthy" suggestions...lol. Make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber it will satisfy and keep the munchies a little at bay. I had a wasa rye cracker spread with light laughing cow yesterday and it was pretty good...not as good as chocolate and peanut butter though ;)

    ReplyDelete