Monday, June 21, 2010

Me & Yard work: A match not meant to be.

Good morning everybody! I hope you all had a great weekend. We loved Toy Story 3! I think my husband and I laughed as much or more than the kids, and the end is so touching I almost cried. We had a great barbecue with our dad's last night. It was fun to celebrate with them.

Saturday was our first soccer-free, nice weather Saturday in a long time. We planned on taking full advantage and getting out in the yard and doing some work. Well, I've decided that yard work may not be my thing. You may remember that on Tuesday I sat in an ant hill and got pinched at. Well, on Saturday I was doing some weed chopping with my hoe and when I stood up straight to get the rake, I realized I had done something to my back. The pain was excruciating ( I have a low tolerance for pain), it was all I could do to hobble to my backyard, where my husband was, and lay down on the grass. Needless, to say my yard work workout was once again cut short.

The interesting thing about it is that all I could think of was how mad I was because a hurt back was really going to throw a wrench into my daily exercise routine. I know I've come along way when I am worried about NOT being able to exercise!

A few ibuprofen and some rest got me through Saturday and it has progressively felt better. I am just a little nervous about re-aggravating it. I am bummed because I was so excited about running 2 miles last week and I wanted to run again today. I am little nervous about it.

I decided not to run outside today and will use my treadmill instead. That way if I start running and throw out my back, I'll be in my house and not miles away from home. :) I will take it easy to begin with and see how it goes.

My hubby just ordered an exercise bike. I am excited to have something new to do. I think it is important to change up your workout every few months and am happy I have been able to do that. So how do you all change up your workout, or do you even feel it is necessary?

Have a great day everybody!

7 comments:

  1. For the first 4 months of this year I used my elliptical really hard. When May rolled around I was so bored with it and that's when I started running. I'm not bored with it yet, but I've found that I'd much rather run with a buddy than by myself. I need the extra motivation from them, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know this means you should not be doing yard work! Hope your back is feeling better - good plan to run on the treadmill in case it starts hurting worse.

    My workouts get changed up by my trainers, so I don't have to think about that, which is a good thing. I added running a while ago and that has certainly helped with the cardio/calorie burning aspect. Your new exercise bike will be a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I hope your back continues to improve!

    I change my workouts up all the time. It helps keep me interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your back...I'm a veteran back sufferer, though. While I can't say I do very much to help my situation, I do highly recommend working on abdominal exercises as well as some back exercises to keep strengthening the core.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch!

    Yes, I change workouts - not sure if it's more because I need to fit it to what my time allows or just for the fun of change, but it definitely keeps me interested. :)

    Enjoy your bike when it arrives. I'm in the process of getting my post together wherein I left you an award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left you an award today. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete