Thursday, June 24, 2010

A new goal! (I really think I must be crazy)

I was recently re-reading my 2nd post ever. In the post I set my goals, both short-term and long-term. You can read the post here if you want. It is amazing to me that I am 6 months into this journey and have already accomplished some of the short-term goals and am more than half way to my big long-term goal as far as pounds lost goes.


I think that goals are what keep us striving to do our best. I have thought about what may happen when I reach my goal weight. What will keep me motivated to exercise and eat healthy? I like to think that wanting to take care of my body will be enough of a reason, but wonder if it really will be enough.


When the treadmill got boring and mundane in the beginning of my journey I decided to take on the C25K training. I'm still working on that goal, but plan on being a C25k graduate. :)
When the exercise dvd's got mundane I had some new opportunities to take exercise classes with friends.
These are things that have helped me on my journey. And now I have found a new one that will help me stay on the path for at least the next 3 years.







It is called the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay Race.
It is a 178 mile race completed over about a 24 hour period. Teams are made up of 12 people and each person runs three legs of the race. The legs range from easy to very difficult. The area in which the race is ran is very beautiful and mountainous. Here is how the website describes the race:

"Think of it as a 188-mile party with 12 best friends. Teams of 12 will rock out to live bands, enjoy the wacky participant costumes, and make life-long friends with teammates and competitors. Teams will party along the backside of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains from Logan (85 miles north of Salt Lake City) to Park City, Utah (15 miles east of Salt Lake City). "

Doesn't it sound fun!? :} I have many friends that have done this. I remember thinking I really wish I could do something like that last year when I saw all their facebook updates and pics about the race, but KNOWING I NEVER COULD do anything like that. After all, I was 50 pounds overweight and couldn't even run a 1/4 mile.

This year I had the same thoughts as the race was ran last weekend. By the same thought, I meant wishing I could be involved in it. The difference this year is I KNOW I CAN do this race someday. And I think it would be great to do it the summer I turn 40. That is in three years. I truly believe anybody could train to do anything within a three year period. I have already talked to many friends about doing it and now I am posting it on my blog so it is officially a goal of mine now. And who knows, as time goes by maybe we'll decide to do it earlier.

I am so excited to have this new goal and to have something more to work towards. I really appreciated Kyle's comment on my last post. He said, "With your running you have something better to focus on than the scale." That is so true. I am so much more than the number on the scale. I have other goals that don't include numbers on the scale but numbers of miles ran.

So there you have it my new long, long-term goal. Do any of you have any real long-term goals that you really believe in? I mean, I could say I want to run a marathon in 3 years. But right now that doesn't seem very believeable to me. I think when we set goals, no matter how far out they are they must be something we truly believe in.

I hope you all are happy and well. Good night!

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful goal! I've heard of these kinds of relay races and they do sound like a lot of fun. If my math skills are up to date, it looks like 188 miles between 12 people means 15.7 miles of running split over 3 legs.

    You've totally got this...who knows, you might even itch do this race earlier than planned.

    Keep me posted on who your 12 will be...I may be tempted to take a spot...ya never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goal!

    My first long-term goal is to buy a dress for my husband's graduation in the regular sizes in May 2011. My second long term goal is to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise. :) I'm hoping to jog again someday, and I know I will..just not when.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME GOAL!!
    theres nothing more motivating to me in all realms of my life than knowing Im working toward SOMETHING!

    even if I never get there :)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds to me like you have gained confidence since you started too. Did you think when you wrote those goals that you'd ever be interested in a 178 mile team race?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a really great goal. Congratulations! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great goal - what a combination...your 40th birthday, friends, something completely different - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Barbara, this is an AWESOME goal! And totally one you can accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like FUN! You've got this, and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, thank you!! (:
    And I'll definitely post about it one day.

    I don't think you sound crazy for making this a goal at all! It's an awesome goal and I know you'll achieve it. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, came across your blog! hope you don't mind :) lol.

    What a great goal that is! I'm nowhere close to being in shape for that. But, eventually I would love to build up my running to get into a race like that.
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome goal. Good luck. I know you will do it.

    ReplyDelete