Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Left Feet!


Today, I opted not to do the treadmill because my shins are pretty sore and I want to be able to finish week 2 of my C25K training tomorrow. If anyone has any advice on how to cure/avoid shin splints, let me know.
But sore shins is not what this post is about. After I did my BL training I decided to pop in an old aerobic VHS tape to get some cardio in. The tape I have is one that my mom got while she was doing Jenny Craig a few years back. The last time (4 years ago) I decided to lose weight she gave me her exercise tapes. Attempting to do the aerobics workout reminded me that I do, indeed have two left feet. It also reminded me why I have always avoided actually attending a public aerobics/exercise class of any kind. I am so uncoordinated, I really can't follow along with all the dance-aerobic moves. In fact, I wonder if it is doing me any good at all because I have to concentrate on how to move my feet so much that I am probably not moving them much at all. I know that if I did this particular tape often, I would eventually get it. I think I'll stick to my treadmill and Jillian for my cardio, though.
Are all aerobic workout tapes/dvd's that way, though? Do they all contain complicated (or so it seems to me) dance moves? Or is that a 80-90's thing? Let me know. I have a friend who loves Zumba and wants me to attend a class with her. I am afraid I will just embarrass myself. For those of you who love Zumba, will my two left feet get in the way of a good workout?
Have a great Thursday, everybody! The weekend is right around the corner.

7 comments:

  1. I think I have two left feet too! I love the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. They aren't complicated at all. The moves are easy to pick up right away and there are several different ones but all use the same core moves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that they're all like that, though a lot are. It's supposed to make them more fun so people stick with it (because you're having fun, right?? =D). I've neglected him lately, but I always loved Tae-Bo, and he's not too dancy (though there are moments that require coordination). If you've never tried it click on this link to watch some snippets, though I will say that stuff toward the end must only be in his latest videos because there is nothing of the sort in videos I have (I think he was just trying to jump on the "dance" train). Also, it looks fairly easy, but I've never finished a Tae-Bo workout and thought, "Huh, that wasn't so bad." I'm always covered in sweat!

    My other workouts are dancy, so that's the best suggestion I have. :) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dyslexic so I get all the moves wrong...they go one way and I go the other way, but as long as you are trying to do it I think it's good or at least that's what I tell myself. HOWEVER, I wouldn't like ANYONE to watch me do a video tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the Leslie Sansone comment, I love her dvd's!!

    Also, with shin splints, just make sure you are wearing the right kind of shoes. Also, icing them after your run should help. I had them when I first started the program but now I only have a bit of pain at the beginning of my runs and then it goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, hey! I used to get shin splints really bad. The thing that cured it for me was having a "running shoe" fitting. I went to a place that was on 9400 So. and State in Sandy, and they measured how I walk ("gait") and all sorts of different things.

    The shoes were more money than I had ever spent on any type of shoes before (they were like $70), but it changed how I look at walking/running. I have never bought cheap running shoes since! (This was about five years back, not sure if the store is still there! I think it was called Wasatch Running or something like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a huge Leslie Sansone fan. Her DVDs are easy to follow but are a great workout. It's walking in place with some kicks, knee lifts, side steps and arm movements. If you hold your arms in like your supposed to you get a nice ab crunch when you do knee lifts..It's like a whole body workout..I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you landing on your feet? Heel first? Mid sole?

    Mid sole is best, not your toes either!

    The right shoe can aid in a mid sole landing...try a little jog in bare feet...you can't land heel first.

    I started out trying heel-toe, but quickly changed over to a mid-sole approach.

    ReplyDelete