Monday, January 25, 2010

Happy Monday!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was pretty good, nothing very eventful but a good weekend with the family. I stayed pretty true to my healthy living plan. I took the weekend off from the treadmill since I had already reached my 5 times a week goal. I did do Jillian's Shred video on Saturday. My legs are still sore, but it felt great (right?)!

We only ate out once this weekend. We decided to try a new Greek food/ burger joint in our city. I really love gyros but do not eat them very often because there wasn't anywhere nearby that served them. That is until now. Before we went to dinner, I looked up the nutrition content of gyros on sparkpeople.com. At 630 calories and 15 grams of fat, they are not the best things to eat or the worst either. I decided since I had done well all day and would have plenty of calories left in my allotment I would enjoy a gyro. It was delicious! I skipped on the fries and had salad and lemon rice (which I didn't eat much of) with my meal. When we were almost done eating one of the restaurant employees brought us each a small cup of vanilla soft-serve ice cream. I took the smallest serving and enjoyed it. I was hesitant at first, but remembered that I want to change my eating habits and be able to maintain my weight after I reach my goal. That means, I am not going to deprive myself of treats all the time, because realistically treats will always be part of my life. I need to learn to enjoy them without going overboard. And when the day was over I was still under my calorie allotment.

We went to my mom's for dinner on Sunday. She was kind enough to plan a healthy meal with my new journey in mind. She served Salmon, broccoli, pineapple, garlic mashed potatoes and I brought rolls. I enjoyed a healthy portion of all of it.

I have mentioned that I am using sparkpeople.com to track my food. According to the website my goal range for daily calories is 1420-1770 calories. I prefer to stay around 1600. Here's the kicker, I am having a hard time meeting the calorie goal. That is right, I need to intake more calories! I am also usually lacking in the fat and carb category. I think by the time I eat my 5 servings fruits/vegetables along with my other stuff, I'm definitely satisfied and don't feel like eating much more. I know it is important not to put my body in "starving mode" so I ask you all how do you add healthy fats/calories in your diets? I have been snacking on Almonds and also eating apples with all-natural peanut butter. Do you have any other ideas? I know I could easily eat a handful of potato chips each day to meet my requirements, but that is not a very healthy choice is it? And one handful would soon turn into handfuls and before you know it I would have exceeded my calorie goals.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

8 comments:

  1. At first when I started Weight Watchers I used FULL fat cheese and that helped me UP the points (or calories) then as I lost weight (and lost daily points) I went with reduced and or fat free choices. That is my TIP for ya. :) I like that you enjoyed your gyro! I am all for having foods that I love in my life still! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you've found a nice healthy balance. I went to a nutrition presentation recently and the woman speaking said that when you lead a healthy lifestyle, one of the natural side effects is weight loss. I like her way of looking at the situation.

    As far as healthy fats are concerned, have you tried using salad dressing that you make yourself? A nice vinegarette using olive oil, balsamic vinegar and water would be one way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuts are a great way to add some healthy calories. I would stay away from the chips though. I don't know about you, but once I start it's hard to stop at one serving and then a whole day can be ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind comments and encouraging words on my blog- they mean so much to me.

    I'm new to GYROS and I gotta say, I love em! They are just super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I totally know what you're talking about too! Have you thought about adding hummus or tuna? Something like that? That'll help you raise your calories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guacamole can be a healthy fat.

    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your treat. I'm with you. Treats are part of life...and it's ok to eat them in moderation. I think it's much better to have a little than deny yourself and end up eating a pint a week later :) That would be what I would end up doing anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat nuts. The almonds dusted with cocoa powder are my fav. Just a few will add in calories and good fats. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how much food you can eat when it's *healthy* food! Almonds work for me. Also, I use a little whey protein powder in yogurt if I'm noticing a pattern of low calorie days.

    ReplyDelete