Friday, January 22, 2010

A Random Friday

So, I have done one workout on the Shred video. I did it on Wednesday and have not made the time to do it again. People warned me about being sore. I have been the most sore in my arms and chest area. You gotta love push-ups! I have determined over the past couple of weeks that my arms are the weakest part of my body. Anyway, with my already sore arms I turned on "The Biggest Loser" game today to do my training. And what was today's training, you guessed it.....upper body! I have not had one official upper body training yet and of course, the first time had to fall on a day when my arms were already sore. But, I did it!

My usual exercise routine is: I get up early in the morning and do the treadmill, get the kids off to school, eat breakfast and then do my "Biggest Loser" training or an exercise DVD. Well, today I didn't get on the treadmill before I got the kids to school so after I did my BL training I knew it was time to hop on the treadmill. I was not looking forward to it and it was harder than usual, having just finished the other workout, which included some cardio (jump roping). I'm happy to say, I did it anyway. I had to laugh, during a particular hard part of my treadmill workout my ipod was playing INXS' "Devil Inside". I decided I was not going to let that little devil inside of me that was telling me to lower the speed on the treadmill win! One victory point for me!

I've been paying close attention to my pace on the treadmill and calculating how fast I would complete a 5K. It has been very interesting. I actually completed my first 5K about a year and a half ago. I walked/jogged it in 39 minutes. Then a few months later I did another one with my daughter, who really wasn't feeling well so our time was a couple of minutes slower. Anyway, my pace now is not at 39 minutes. I'm amazed I did it in that time before, although I realize it is not a very good time. At the time, my training consisted of walking (with a little jogging thrown in) with my friend. I never really kept track of pace or miles. I must have really kicked it up a notch for the race, no wonder I could not walk for days after without feeling the pain in my shins! As well, as feeling it every time I sat down/stood up. I am encouraged by my progress so far. Now that I am more serious about running, I should make a better time when I do a 5K. I know I will do the Race for the Cure in May and maybe find one sooner.

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I know weekends can be hard for a lot of us. Just remember, don't' do anything you will regret on Monday or at your next weigh-in. See you on Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Keep it up. You'll get over the soreness before long. Make sure you drink enough water to flush out the lactic acid.

    Your doing such a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..you are doing a great job and I admire the tenacity and determination you're showing. But then, speaking as your Mom...is it good to push it so hard when you're so sore? I think everything I've heard or read says if you're really sore you should have a day or two rest. But then...I'm just your Mom so why start listening to me now? JK...love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is hard to work out when you're tired and/or sore, but you did it anyway! I'm so proud of you. Thank you for your kind words regarding my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you for pushing through the pain and getting your workout in anyway. I know it can be hard to fight off that little voice that tells you that you should just stop..You know when your body has really had enough that you should stop and until then keep telling that voice to be quiet. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog and it looks like you are off to a great start on your journey! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete