Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Treadmill and Me: It's a love/hate relationship

The Treadmill. Every night, I find myself thinking, "I do not want to get up at 6:30 a.m. and do the treadmill!" or "Do I really have to do the treadmill tomorrow?". Yet, I have kept to my goal for the past two weeks and have gotten on the treadmill 5 out of 7 of the days in the week. Once I actually pull myself out of bed, put on my exercise clothes and grab my ipod, I'm good to go. No, I don't love every minute of it. But, I do love how I feel. I'm not sure if it is more a great feeling physically or psychologically. It always feels great knowing I did it even though I didn't want to!
Now about my treadmill routine. I would love to hear what everyone else does. My treadmill (which is kind of old, 10 years or so) has 4 programmed routines. Two are considered aerobic and two are fat burners. I usually pick one of the fat burner routines. I can program what the highest speed I want to go is and also you can drop or raise the speed during the workout. I like the pre-programmed routines because I have a pretty good idea when the speed is going to go up or down. For instance, if I'm at a higher speed and need to run it is easier for me to keep going knowing in x amount of minutes it is going to drop. Sometimes, I do have to manually drop the speed on my own. I think if I just did the whole thing on my own, manually I may not push myself as much as I should.
I think I will research the Internet today and find some other treadmill programs. If I have something to follow, I may not have to always use the pre-programmed ones on my own treadmill.
I will be grateful when the weather and horrible inversion clear up around these parts and I can get moving outside more!
Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. One of my very good friends is a personal trainer. Here is a treadmill workout she wrote up for me....

    3 min. 3.3 speed. 0 incline
    4 min. 3.9 speed. 4%incline
    2 min. 4.0 speed. 1%incline
    1 min. 4.7 speed. 1%incline
    4 min. 3.8 speed. 5%incline
    2 min. 4.0 speed. 1%incline
    2 min. 4.7 speed. 1%incline
    4 min. 4.0 speed. 1%incline
    5 min. 3.9 speed. 10%incline
    2 min. 4.0 speed. 1% incline
    1 min. 4.7 speed. 1% incline

    That equals 30 min. Now cool down. I'm not sure what your fitness level is...so you may have to adjust things...

    Also, try not to hold on when you can...it burns more calories because you have to use more muscles to balance.

    Good job on the exercise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work with the exercise! I too, cannot wait for the Spring weather so I can jog outside. Keep going on that treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing awesome! The pre-programmed routine sounds great, but it will be good to research and have some ideas for alternatives. You can play around a bit, but you still have your "tried-and-true" programs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I found the blog. I knew it was out there but I couldn't find it. I do the treadmill in the morning too. Mine is about 13 years old and has no programmable settings on it :) I just turn it on, slide the speed to at least 3.5, incline it some (don't have any clue a level) and go. At night I will either do some more on the treadmill, my bike or go to the gym for the eliptical or track.

    Good for you for the progress you've made! I've lost 53 in just over 11 months and I hope to lose another 50 this year (that still won't get me to my ideal weight but pretty close). I'm happy to swap tips/food ideas anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know that you won the give away at my blog. Please stop by when you get a chance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete