Monday, January 11, 2010

The things you learn.....

I received some enlightenment this weekend. In order to find out how many calories my dinner from McDonald's was I turned to their website. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised that my meal was just over 400 calories. I decided to go to the websites of some of the other fast food restaurants I frequent and look at their nutrition info.

I learned that the Mandarin Chicken salad I love at Wendy's is a whopping 540 calories, with dressing. And just under 500 without. I learned that sometimes the best option is not a salad. I learned that a Jr. hamburger and a side salad is usually the best choice.

I have decided that when I am going out to a restaurant I am going to look up ahead of time the menu and nutrition info. This will help me make the most healthy food choice before I even get to the restaurant. I think I may also make a list of "healthier" foods found at my fave fast food restaurants and keep it with me in my car or purse so when I find myself at the drive through I can make better decisions.

I read this article today about labeling on packages. The FDA would like companies to label packages as one serving "if the entire contents of the package can reasonably be consumed at a single-eating occasion". This makes so much sense! Really, is a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream FOUR servings? I think most people could down a pint in two servings, easily. And for some, it would be one serving. Hopefully, manufacturers will listen to the FDA. But until then, continue reading the labels closely, people! Carry a calculator, if necessary to make all the calculations to figure out what the total amount of calories, fat g., etc. is if you drink the whole 20 oz. bottle of pop in one serving or eat the whole pint of ice cream at once.

3 comments:

  1. New to your blog...thanks for joining mine. I certainly hope the FDA labeling guidance gets adapted. I don't mind the basic math stuff, but for some products, specifically Campbell's Microwavable Soup bowls, it is impossible. The label gives a serving size in milliliters and indicates "about 2 servings", but the whole package is only listed in Ounces by weight, i.e. not fluid ounces. In other words, it is nearly impossible to accurately calculate the calories.

    This kind of package is not only in a "single serving" microwavable bowl, but it is not resealable. How in the "F" can they not just put the whole package's nutritional information on it.

    Keeping fingers crossed.

    Kyle
    Getting Better and Better

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true that label reading is its own science. I even offer my clients grocery store tours so I can help them decode the mysteries of labels.
    BODA lose weight

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be awesome if they started labelling packages like that! I think a lot of people fall into the trap of assuming the nutritional information given is for the package contents.

    Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete