Friday, February 19, 2010

Doing all this for fun!?

Today I completed week 2 of the C25K training. Yay for me! I did not do it at an incline yet though. So I'm not sure if I want to repeat the week, adding an incline or move on and just deal with the difference of running outside when I actually do start running outside. After reading the comments from yesterday, I have decided to go have a proper shoe fitting and get some new shoes. I hope to do this in a couple of weeks.

Today I had an audience of three while doing Jillian's (yes, we're on a first name basis. Even my son knows her name and who she is) 30-day Shred. My children were in the room while I did the workout. They were mostly playing their nintendo ds', but they were there all the same. Gotta love breaks from school! Anyway, while doing reverse crunches my son (five years old) said, "Look at your bum, you've got a big bum!". Don't you just love the honesty of children? Anyway, my daughters got upset with him and told him that was not nice. I told them, "He shouldn't say that, but it's true. Why do you think I'm doing all this?". To which, one daughter said, "For fun!". I just laughed. But what I really wanted to say is, "Do I look like I am having fun!?, Do you see the sweat pouring down my face!? Do you think I enjoy not being able to walk up and down the stairs without being in pain?! Do you think I enjoy having a hard time washing my hair because it hurts to raise my arms!?". Maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration. I can walk up and down the stairs and wash my hair just fine....now.

Will this ever be fun? I know I can't expect to love exercise and think it is fun after just a couple of months of doing it. I have never liked exercise, which is one of the reasons I'm overweight. Although, I like the way I feel after I do the treadmill or Jillian or BL training I don't particularly like it while I am doing it. Mostly, I dread getting up in the morning to get on the treadmill and if I do look forward to a workout it is mostly because I am looking forward to the satisfaction that comes after I have completed it! I dont' think my dislike of exercising has much to do with the types of exercising I am doing. I just don't enjoy it all that much. I hope that eventually this will change. I hope that one day I will find that I do think exercising is fun! What about you all? Do you enjoy exercising? Did you have to reach a point where you enjoyed it, or have you always enjoyed it?

10 comments:

  1. bwhahah little kids are so fun...my three year old told my best friend the other day that I was a "hunky chunky mommy" well she isn't far off but come on kid....way to sell me out!

    and no it is not fun yet, but it is getting there, I am starting to crave the way I feel after working out so I think that is a step in the right direction!! Keep at it your doing great! and although we may never like to exercise we will love the way we look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I know what you mean. I'm starting to enjoy exercising, but it's not something I would do if I didn't have to...at this point in time at least. I love how I feel when I'm done exercising, but it's just doing it that I'm still getting used to.

    http://finallygettinghealthyin2010.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a child would think you're doing that for fun :)

    I still don't like to exercise and I've been consistently doing it for 3 years. If my friend is meeting me there, I can exercise no problem. Being a stay at home mom my social life is a tad sparse, so I will workout to spend time with friends :)

    Do I like exercise...not really...

    Thank for checking on me. I'd fallen into a bucket of chocolate!!! And felt like a chocolatey failure...UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog comment!

    I definitely love the feeling after I work out waaaay more than I enjoy working out. Sometimes I have to focus on how I feel when I'm done just to get myself to actually work out. I don't know if I'll ever really enjoy it, but it does sort of become a part of me, and a habit I don't want to break.

    I need new shoes too, but have never been fitted for any. Good luck getting some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post!

    I too am doing the 30 Day Shred and will start the Couch to 5km in the spring, I wish I had room for a treadmill but that would mean having to put someones bed outside to make the space and so far noone has volunteered. lol

    I look forward to joining you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy exercise most of the time, but it certainly wasn't always that way. And there are days when I'd rather have a root canal than get on the treadmill. Like you, though, I love the feeling of accomplishment when it's done. Well worth a little (or a lot of) discomfort to get that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am like you, don't like to exercise and that's part of why I'm where I'm at! When I was in 3rd grade, our teachers decided we needed to exercise right after lunch every day. I was one usually getting in trouble because I spent most of my time trying to not do the exercises. I now regret that, but that's how I've been my whole life. I hope to be able to at least enjoy exercising someday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun...hmm...I think I like the training process when you know that it is leading to something like the C25K. I know that I'll have to come up with something to do where exercising is a necessity rather than just the end game to burn extra calories. I don't know what that'll be yet, but I'm just looking at organized exercise as a means to further my fat loss and strength gains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for joining my blog
    i joined yours as well
    i will hopefully get to read some of your today and leave you comments as well very soon
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I lost a lot of weight before I really started to like working out. Especially playing team sports, like softball and volleyball. But I used exercise as a stress reliever, and I often suggested going for walks and bike rides with friends rather than going out to eat. This has since left me, and I'm back to not really loving exercise again, but I hope that as my fitness level increases the workouts will become more enjoyable again.

    Are you training for a specific 5k race or just challenging yourself to do the C25K?

    ReplyDelete