Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Randomness

If you are looking for my usual "Things That I Love" Tuesday post just look below. I have so much on my mind that I decided to do two posts.

First of all, I want to give a big welcome and shout out to my friend Kristin, who just started her own weight loss and healthy living blog. I've told her how supportive you all are, so check her blog out here and give her some love. Thanks!

I started my couch to 5K (C25k) program today. I appreciate all of the support and encouragement you gave me on yesterday's post. Today went really well. I probably ran about as much as I have been doing, but today it was spread out over more frequent increments. My legs were feeling it during the last running interval, but I did it. And I'm happy to say I shaved a couple of minutes off my normal 2 mile time. Yay! I think I am really going to like this. I would be curious to know what everyone's normal "running" speed. Mine is really a jog at 4.8 mph. I walk at 3.8 mph. This is an improvement over when I first started using the treadmill in January. At first, my run was at 4.5 mph. I appreciate Shannon's advice in her comment about setting the incline on my treadmill so it won't be so hard once I start running outside. I was curious about what a difference running outdoors will make. I will start using the incline. Also, the training is for only 3 days a week. I have been doing the treadmill five days a week for the past five weeks. Do I just do my other routines on the off days or should I be resting? I'm not sure I want to rest.

Last night, I made tacos. I wanted to make something that would help us use up the guacamole and salsa left over from Sunday. I only had whole wheat tortillas, so I warmed those up and also had corn chips out in case some in my family would have preferred to make a taco salad. I was surprised that everyone used the whole wheat tortillas (this is a first, I just started buying them for wraps a couple of weeks ago). Everyone liked them, although my husband wished they would have been bigger. I had one taco in a tortilla and then made a salad (minus the chips). Yummy! And finally, I did have a few chips to finish up the guacamole. :) I think sometimes I am reluctant to try to get my family to eat more healthily because they may be resistant. Last night, taught me that they may just surprise me and like the healthy stuff after all!

I have not done my BL Wii game at all this past week because I am still mad that it kicked me off and I have to start all over! I have been doing Jillian's 30 day Shred instead. It is going well. I will have my weigh-in on the BL game tomorrow (I still can't decide on a new scale or not) and then I will get back to training on there as well. I guess part of the challenge will be not getting kicked off before my 12 weeks are up. I also like the variety of training.

Have a great Tuesday everybody!

7 comments:

  1. I find it's more difficult to run/walk outside compared to the treadmill. I don't know why that is though? I run at a whopping 5.4 on the treadmill, but I'm 5'2", so I guess that is not too bad. I don't run long though. I prefer to walk fast on a steep incline.

    Great job on all your working out and healthy eating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make mexcian food into a salad. So yummy.

    I'v heard mixed reviews on the wii fit. I think it could be fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sending me to Kristin's blog. The support we give each other is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job kicking off your C25K program. I don't think it'd hurt to walk on the off days, but I'd probably avoid any more jogging on the off days. I've learned to trust the program and follow its rules.

    Don't even worry about speed comparisons. Irrelevant really at this point. Just keep setting a pace that allows you to jog along with moderate ease. I found that I was able to start increasing my pace after awhile once my legs got used to the running motion.

    Yay Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the C25K! You will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. isn't Jillian shred a killer! It makes me want to swear, but I love the way I feel after! By the way I am Erica and I stumbled upon your blog we seem to have quite a bit in common! It will be fun to follow you!

    Good luck and great job sticking with it!

    my blog runmommyrun-erica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete