Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Weigh-In Wednesday and a decision about the scale

So today is weigh-in Wednesday. I weigh myself once every day on my bathroom scale. I do this first thing in the morning in my underwear before I put my workout clothes on. My scale seems to be pretty consistent and today it read a 1 lb. loss. I was a bit disappointed because that is not a change from yesterday and I thought I earned a loss yesterday! Anyway, as you know I have been using The Biggest Loser Wii game for my official Wednesday weigh-ins. So I got on the Wii balance board today and it read 196 for no loss at all! That sucks! So I made a decision...I will no longer use the Wii balance board for my official weigh-ins. I am going to use my bathroom scale. I just don't trust the balance board anymore and I'm sure it doesn't register 1/2 lbs., which I think is just wrong. So my new weight (according to my bathroom scale) is 192.5 for a 1 lb. loss. Maybe I'm just doing this so I can see a loss this week and feel better about myself, feel free to tell me if you think that is just what I'm doing. I figure, I have seen my bathroom scale be consistent over the last few weeks. I weigh myself on it everyday at the same time. I know it reads lower than the wii and the doctor's office scale does, but it is not that much lower. Not to mention, when I weigh myself on the Wii or at the Dr's I am fully clothed and it isn't always first thing in the morning.

About the Wii game. Today I dropped below the yellow line and was in danger of being eliminated AGAIN. I wasn't, but it ticked me off. What more does it want me to do?! I exercise 5-6 days a week and stick to my eating plan. I will still stick with the game, for training purposes and I would really like to complete a 12-week period before getting eliminated but I'm not going to worry about it so much.

About my 1 pound loss. It looks like I've definitely got a pattern going on here. One pound one week, 2 pounds the next. I was really hoping to buck the trend this week but it didn't happen. I know 1-2 lbs. a week is a healthy way to lose weight and that if I lose 6 lbs. a month I will exceed my 2010 goal of a 50lb. loss. However, I also know that most people hit a wall and their weight loss comes at a standstill for a time. I guess I just hoped I could lose more in the beginning before I hit my wall. On the bright side, I have now lost 13 lbs. and if my pattern holds true next week I will hit the 15 lb. mark! The big picture is very satisfying.

Have a great Wednesday, everybody!

8 comments:

  1. You are making progress...big celebration time. And you are right about the scale and the potential for slow downs...it doesn't matter. It is what you do each and every day...not what happened and worked well last week and not what you hope it'll be like a week from now. Each day is the only challenge you have for yourself. If you keep eating to plan and keep exercising, you will win. It is really that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing to keep in mind, too, is that at least it's a loss and not a gain, right? And even if you stay the same, again, at least it's not a gain. But when you work so har and you don't see that number go down, it really does suck! Keep up the good work! It will pay off in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a good idea to go with your bathroom scale. I think consistency is the best policy and you will get that this way.

    Sounds like you are doing great! I'm also at a loss of 13 pounds right now. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and think the bathroom scale is the way to go! I've only lost 6 pounds so far this year, but hope to keep losing weight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep focus on that big picture! 15 pounds is great! I think we all have a hard time not jumping on the scale and loosing 5 pounds, especially when you feel like you have worked really really hard, but our bodies are strange things and you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how our bodies each have a pattern to them. Mine is similar to yours I'm thinking with the 1 pound 2 pound thing. But of course when you are expecting the loss there is nothing. That's just the way it goes I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are making steady progress and that is a good thing. If you do feel that you are hitting a plateau it might be wise to consider a new activity. Sometimes a change in activity is all it takes to kick things into high gear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would just use your bathroom scale. Why use two different devices to weigh yourself? That leaves room for more error. I would just pick one and stick to it.
    I wouldn't worry about a plateau. I hit one in January for 2 weeks. It was very frustrating, but the following week I think I lost about 4 lbs, so I made up for it. I would try to concentrate on what you are doing today and don't worry about what might happen in the future. You are doing great!!!!! That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete