Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy February and a review!

First of all, thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments on my last post. You guys are the best! I feel like I can do this with your support. Thank you! Thank you!

Happy February to you all! That's right a new month. I feel good to know that this will be my first full month of my new lifestyle. I started the 5th of January so that was not a full month. I look forward to seeing what February brings.....hopefully not too many candy hearts and chocolate!
I had a great weekend. Nothing too eventful. I stayed on my eating plan and did the treadmill on Saturday. I always take Sundays off so on Monday I am ready to conquer a new week. I plan on getting some exercise outside today as it is sunny. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit. I woke up early and did "The Biggest Loser" game. Apparently, after 3 weeks it kicks it up a notch. I am no longer doing the beginning level workout, I am now on the moderate level. There is definitely a difference. I have had people ask me how I like "The Biggest Loser" Wii game and so I thought I would do a review today.
I have only watched the show once or twice. I just can't seem to get into it. Sorry BL fans! Because I am not a regular watcher of the show I really did not have any expectations as far as the trainers went. Anyway, the game allows you to do a 12, 6, or 4 week program. I chose the 12 week program. After you input your info and select what your purpose of the training is, maintain, lose a little weight or lose a lot of weight, it creates a program for you. I, of course, want to lose a lot of weight. It set a goal for me to reach by the end of the program. I can't remember mine right off but it is to lose 20+ pounds. The game has features to enter in your calorie intake for the day (it recommends an amount) and to log extra exercise you have done.
I really don't use those features too much because I log those in a notebook and on sparkpeople and usually only turn the game on first thing in the morning.

Now, here's the part I really like and what I use it for. The training workouts. Every other day I have a scheduled training. I really like the training sessions. I have never had a personal trainer and don't know much about exercising so I like that it is all figured out for me. The workout usually consists of two, sometimes three circuits of upper body, lower body, core exercises or yoga. I think the past three weeks, I have repeated the same workout maybe once. Although, I did miss a few sessions. I like the variety of exercises. I feel like the exercises are explained in a manner that they are easy for me to understand and I can follow the trainer easily as well. Like Wii Fit, it measures how well you are executing the exercise. Although, I'm not sure how accurate this can really be. I definitely get sweaty and my muscles burn during the workouts so I figure it must be doing something for me. I do feel more toned as well.

Another feature of the game is the weekly challenges. They are similar to the ones on the show. I have to do two different exercises for a certain amount of time and by doing these exercises my character rides the bike faster, chops wood, tippytoes across the pool, etc. It goes in rounds until I either beat everyone out or I lose a round. I have to do these each Wednesday before I weigh in and can do it for fun anytime.

What do I not like about the game? Well, I wish it was my Mii working out. Instead, you choose a past contestant. Maybe this would be fun for someone who is a fan of the show. As I lose weight, my contestant loses weight. Just today, my son was watching me and said that my character (Allie?) looked a little bit skinny. That made me smile. I find the weigh-ins a little strange. It shows me my weight and then the weight of Allie. I guess her weight loss is proportionate to mine. Then two contestants drop below the yellow line and we vote someone out. I have yet to drop below the yellow line so I don't know what happens if you do. I doubt you could be voted out before your 12 weeks is up.

Anyway, that is my unprofessional review. Overall, I like the workout plan it gives me. I'm glad I got it.

On a total random note. I watched the movie "Footloose" on Saturday. Do any of you remember this fabulous movie? I loved it when I was a teen and I love it now! The soundtrack is so awesome (am I dating myself?)! After watching it, I wished I still had my cassette tape walkman and the soundtrack on tape. I am seriously considering downloading it from itunes. I looked and it costs $10. I think that may be a bit much for a 25 year old soundtrack. However, I will be earning 10 itune downloads when I hit the -10 lb mark. I already have 10 songs on my wishlist, but I may just have to download the "Footloose" soundtrack instead!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing the game. It's always nice to know what other people think of games before you get to try them. I'm a HUGE Biggest Loser fan so I was so excited to hear about the game, now if only I had a Wii..hehe. One day I'll get one and then I'll definately have to get this game. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review of the BL game. I am a huge fan of the show so can't wait to get the game. I have set it for a reward when I lose 20 pounds. More excited to get it now that I read your review.

    Love Footloose too! Hadn't seen it forever but a couple weeks ago, my mom and I were flipping through the channels and caught the last 20 minutes of it. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the great work. You are a great motivator to me. I have been off my plan for the last two weeks due to illness but today was a new day for me. I did two miles today and I'm back on my eating plan. Thanks for this blog. I really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now...I gotta cut loose Footloose...Kick off the Sunday shoes...Pleas Louise...pull me off of my knees

    Jack get Mack...Come on before we crack...

    I wanted to marry Kevin Bacon!!! Now I'm going to listen to song on the internet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about all my typos...but I was dancing while I was typing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree: Footloose is an awesome soundtrack! I still have my cassette. No player, but I have the cassette. :)

    Another great soundtrack is "The Big Chill".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. I actually have that game but have not put any time into playing it yet. I set up my info about a month ago and have not returned. I will now. I'm looking forward to working out with it since I am a huge fan of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review. Our family got a Wii at Christmas and I got Shape Up....I NEED to try it out! Last month my goal was to just try to get on the treadmill but this month I should try out the game! I just started watching BL this season and am enjoying it so far!
    My little brother and I use to kick off our Sunday Shoes when we got home from church and sing "Footloose" :)

    ReplyDelete