Monday, March 29, 2010

C25K Week 5, Day 2 1/2

Happy Monday, everybody! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Mine was pretty fun. On Friday, my girls and I met my mom for dinner at TGI Fridays and then we went to a college gymnastics meet. Our local gymnastics team is always really good so we try to go to a meet once a year.

On Saturday, we went as a family to dinner at Olive Garden and then to see "How to Train a Dragon". The movie is very cute and well made!

I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that I overate this weekend, considering I ate out at very yummy restaurants twice. I over indulged on spinach/artichoke dip and chips on Friday and also had a few too many bites of the brownie sundae. I did only eat half of my dragonfire chicken over jasmine rice. At Olive Garden I got soup and salad and ate a few bread sticks. I should have just stuck to one bread stick. Anyway, I did not record my food all weekend. Right after I post this I am going to sparkpeople to enter today's food.

For the past three years or so a friend of mine and I have been walking a couple of miles each early morning during the warmer months. Today was day one of walking this year. I love walking with my friend, it gives us exercise and a nice 45 minute, uninterrupted chat each week day. I can definitely tell I am more conditioned now than I used to be. I did not tire as easily on our walk. In years past, I would do nothing during the winter months and it was always a killer to start up again. It felt good to be able to see a noticeable difference in my fitness level.

I know that I will need to do more cardio than just our morning walks so today I decided to get on the treadmill after the kids went to school. I figured I'd do another mile. Then I decided to jog a mile. I warmed up with a five minute walk and then started my jog. I'm happy to say that I jogged 1.16 miles and for 15 minutes! Up until now I haven't paid too much attention to my distance, but I know I've never run a mile straight before! So I was not able to complete W5D3 of the C25K training that is to run for 20 minutes. But I am happy with my progress and running for 20 minutes actually seems doable to me now. I am a believer (finally) in the program...or maybe I should say I am finally a believer in myself!

Have a good day everybody!

6 comments:

  1. For sure you can do it.
    What a nice thing to be able to chat with a girl friend each day....uninterupted! and the bonus calorie burn. YAH! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaay! Congratulations on an awesome milestone! Maybe I should make that my goal. Forget the 5k, I just want to run 15 minutes straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't walking in spring great?!? I did that with my neighbor two years ago and we loved it. Sometimes we talked so much we got lost and ended up with a LONG walk. LOL

    Good job on the full mile!!!! I remember how excited I was to jog a full mile as well. I hadn't done it ever in my life until last December.

    We will be great runners before we can even think about it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always more fun getting in a workout with a friend. I remember reading once on someone's blog that they found a workout partner who was already in great condition and they learned a lot and kept motivated by seeing how the hard work was paying off for their partner. You might want to consider asking a second person to partner up with you while still enjoying your walks with your other friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness...ok...this is my last move..promise.

    Just wanted to get you the link, so I didn't disappear into oblivion.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are making such great progress with your running...I find that with my mind right, my body usually outperformed my expectations. The conditioning is happening and your body will respond...so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete