Thursday, March 11, 2010

I went shopping and I think I was hungry because.....

I really wanted some of these:


But, instead I had one of these:



I wish I could write a post about how I really wanted the cadbury mini eggs and even had them in my shopping cart, but ended up putting them back and went for the Fiber One 90 calorie bars instead. But I can't. The truth is, the fiber one bars were already in my shopping cart. I still wanted the cadbury eggs. I have not had any this year. It was probably the first time I have walked down the "seasonal" aisle since Valentine's. But thanks to wal-mart's poor selection, I could not find any mini-bags of the eggs, in fact I'm not sure I even saw the big bags. I avoided that disaster, didn't I? Even after that, I decided getting a bag of peanut m&m's at the checkout would be just as good as the cadbury eggs. Well, someone must be watching over me because I chose a checkout line that just happened to have no individual sized candy. So when I got out to my car I settled for a fiber one bar. They aren't too shabby! Not quite as good as the aforementioned candy, but pretty darn good.

On my way out to the car I saw a van advertising a weight loss program. In big letters on the back window it read, "Cheat and still lose pounds". What the !?!?! Cheat on what, cheat on who? I know it meant cheat on your diet. Well, if that is part of the diet plan they are advertising doesn't that mean it's not cheating?

I have thought about this concept of cheating. Rather, I like to think of it as lying. I am not on some restricted diet. I count calories, nothing is off limits. So I don't ever really consider myself cheating. If I had eaten the cadbury mini eggs, I would have had to adjust the rest of the day's calorie intake. Of course, I am not always perfect. I have gone over on my calories. That is when the guilt sets in.
However, I have thought about the times I have lied. Lied to myself. I said I would stick to my goals and sometimes I don't. I told myself I would eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day and sometimes I don't. Sometimes, while on the treadmill I make promises to myself like how much further I will run before slowing to a walk. Sometimes (but not very often) I walk sooner than I said I would. I told myself I would only have one helping of pasta last night and I had 1 1/2. And so on.
Would we lie to our spouses, our children, our friends, etc? I sure hope not! So why do we lie to ourselves? We deserve to be honest with ourselves. This may start with re-evaluating goals. Are our goals realistic expectations of ourselves? Once we have realistic goals set , we need to be true to ourselves. We are worth the same respect we give others.

Of course, we are not perfect. Sometimes we mess up. It is in those times, we have to offer ourselves the same kindness and mercy we offer others. Hopefully, we forgive others when they mess up. Hopefully, we can forgive ourselves, too. So I will forgive myself for considering having a bag of mini-cadbury eggs today because I told myself that I would wait until April to have one.
Have a great day and remember to be true to yourselves!

14 comments:

  1. BRAVO! I am not BIG on sweets and I LOVE those mini-eggs! I picked up a bag last week and sniffed it. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post
    we only have ourselves that we need to look at in the mirror at the end of the day and we know what we did if we ate candy lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I Easter egg and I'm a goner. I've been known to buy the family supply 3 or 4 times over and still be embarrassed by the poor supply on the day. I have no excuses to buy so will not be eating those lovelies this year. And I promise not to lie to myself about this. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those eggs are do good. My mother n law sends some to my kids every year. I wonder if she know I'm eating them to...

    I have said to my trainer friend many times that it's ridiculous that I struggle with weight at all. I keep my commitments and keep my word about in every other aspect of my life.

    Thanks for the compliment about my writing. I'm probably going back to college in the fall to work on my bachelors. I've thought of majoring in journalism. I told my husband I'm not picking a major where I need any more math or science. He said...well you just eliminated a whole bunch....lol. Yes I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...just read my comment after posting. Hello...typos!! I meant to say those eggs are SO good....then I wonder if she KNOWS....

    Duh?? Guess I should read before I click to post.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had some of those Fiber One 90s in my cart the other day, but I put them back. :) (I already had chocolate in my freezer.)

    Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs are my Easter treat. Fortunately, I can buy just one of those.

    Great self-control!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great control....those little things are so good I will have to think of your self-control when I encounter this situation next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I should apologize to you for bringing the mini-bags of these eggs to the kids the other day and possibly tempting you. I love them too and I am very impressed that you are able to resist them. So in April can I bring you a BIG bag of them for the family? (I'll have to buy them on the way to your house, otherwise they would be gone before I saw you.)
    Keep up the good work Barb...I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have so much self control it amazes me...I probably would have driven to 5085688 other store to find the eggs ...your awesome!
    Oh and you can totally laugh at me.. I laugh at my self on a daily basis it is just part of who I am (sigh.....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My old boss LOVED those eggs and for two years they were in a bowl on the counter where I sit (I'm in the reception area) from when they first appeared on store shelves until way after Easter (he bought many, many bags). The first year I ate them like there was no tomorrow. The second year, I was on my diet and had to work so hard to NOT eat them...I would even move the bowl off the counter so I wouldn't have to smell them, but he would move them back. Torture. He was let go last July, and I haven't thought about those eggs until I read your post. Boy am I glad I don't have to work so hard at resisting them now! My theory is "don't get started on the first one" - and so far, it's working this year, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Fiber Ones are pretty good. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and great post about lying to ourselves. Unfortunately I do that all too often...and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honesty is CRITICAL...that is why I do count all my calories. I find (and for the last couple days I've been skiing and not counting them) that without that extra accountability, it is amazing how even little things end up being acceptable to eat. Thankfully, I'm in much better control than I've ever been, but again the hidden calories are really easy to suck down if you aren't willing to record them.

    Good job on the eggs...if they were the malted eggs, I would have had to run away and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on passing on the eggs and going for a fiber bar instead.

    I enjoyed reading this post about the way we talk to ourselves and the lies we can get caught in when it comes to our eating.

    I have been quilty of being much kinder to my family and friends than I am to myself.

    We have to get honest with ourselves so we can move forward and reach our goals, I love it!

    ReplyDelete